January 31, 2018 - 12:00pm
ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute, Singapore
- To study conventional accounts of traditional structures and figures of Islamic religious authority.
- To understand the underlying forces that shape and animate the construction, contestation, fragmentation, and pluralization of authority in contemporary Indonesian Muslim society.
- To analyze the role and influence of democracy, globalization, new media in the contestation and pluralization of religious authority. The proliferation and establishment of private television channels and new forms of information and communication technologies like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube would be one of the main focuses.
- To examine efforts to politicize religious authority in Indonesia for disparate political objectives.
- To identify diverse trends of religious authority in Indonesian Islam and to speculate on the future of mainstream organizations, particularly the NU and Muhammadiyah.
Venue and Date: This two-day conference will be held at ISEAS – Yusof Ishak Institute, Singapore. Date : 3-4 July 2018Important Dates Deadline for Proposal Submission: 31 January 2018